5 Best Web Development Tools in 2023
Today, web development has come a long way since the internet was introduced. Today, beginners no longer have to code all day and night to build basic web pages.
Do you know who’s to be paid credit to? Well, that’s web development tools!
What’s the good news here? There’s no shortage of web development tools in the marketplace – you can now find many tools for your help.
And, what’s the not-so-good news? The abundance of tools makes finding the best tools out of the crowd much trickier.
So, whether you’re looking for web development tools for startups or experienced developers, these tools can effectively help you reduce the efforts in the coding process.
So, to help you out, our experts have done the research and curated a list of the best web development tools.
What are Web Development Tools?
Have you heard about “devtools”? Well, it’s just a nickname used interchangeably with web development tools.
Web development tools are software programs and applications that help web developers create and maintain websites. These tools can be used for a variety of tasks, such as writing and editing code, debugging, testing, and deploying websites.
Web development tools can be used by both professional developers and hobbyists to create and maintain websites.
They can be particularly useful for people who are new to web development, as they provide a range of helpful features and resources to make the development process easier.
Importance of Web Development Tools
Web development tools can be helpful for a number of reasons. Some of the benefits of using web development tools include:
- Improved Productivity: Web development tools can help developers write code faster and more accurately, which can increase their productivity.
- Enhanced Debugging Capabilities: Debugging tools can help developers find and fix errors in their code more easily, which can save time and improve the quality of their work.
- Collaboration & Version Control: Web development tools like Git and Mercurial allow developers to track changes to their code and collaborate with other developers on projects.
- Testing & Deployment: These tools can also help developers test and deploy their websites, which can streamline the development process.
- Ease Of Use: Many web development tools are designed to be user-friendly, with features like code completion and documentation that can help developers get up to speed quickly.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Web Development Tool
There are many factors to consider when choosing a web development tool, and the right tool for you will depend on your specific needs and preferences.
Here are a few things you might want to consider when picking the right web development tool:
- Language Support: Make sure that the tool you choose supports the programming languages you want to use.
- Features & Functionality: Consider the features and functionality that are important to you, such as code completion, debugging tools, and integration with other tools and services.
- Ease of Use: Choose a tool that is easy to use and has good documentation and support resources.
- Cost: If you’re working on a budget, you may want to consider free or open-source tools.
- Community: A strong and active community of developers can be a valuable resource for support and inspiration.
- Compatibility: Make sure that the tool you choose is compatible with your operating system and any other tools or services you’ll be using.
Top 5 Web Development Tools
If you’ve just begun working as a web developer, you might need web development tools to streamline your workflow. So, here’s a list of the top 7 web development tools that you can take advantage of.
GitHub is a cloud-based and open-source platform that offers a web-based graphical interface. It provides a variety of tools for developers to use, including a code editor, project management tools, and integrations with other development tools.
Additionally, GitHub has a large community of developers who contribute to open-source projects, making it an excellent resource for finding and sharing code.
It offers a free plan with unlimited repositories and collaborators. To get access to its additional features, you can go for one of its paid plans.
- GitHub Copilot: It is an AI-driven tool that recommends code auto-completions based on your coding pattern. It also fills repetitive code in your editor.
- Automation: GitHub gives you the power to automate some tasks such as CI/CD, testing, project management, and onboarding.
- Code Review: GitHub allows you to review code changes made by other developers before they are merged into the main codebase. This ensures that the code is of high quality and adheres to the principles of web development.
- Community: GitHub has a large community of developers who contribute to open-source projects. This means you can find and use code that has been contributed by others, or you can contribute your own code for others to use.
- Integration With Other Tools: GitHub integrates with a variety of other development tools, such as continuous integration systems and project management tools, which makes it easier to manage your development workflow.
#2 Sublime Text
Sublime Text is considered best for beginners who have just begun learning to code. It is considered as an all-in-one text editor for coding and markup.
It is one lightweight tool yet it is popular for offering the features that you can expect from a great text editor. For instance, developers can enable simultaneously and edit several lines of code at once.
You can get started with Sublime Text with its license which can cost you $99 for personal use and $65/year for business use.
- Speed: Sublime Text is known for being fast and lightweight, which makes it a good choice for developers who need an editor that won’t slow down their workflow.
- Customization: It is highly customizable, allowing you to tailor the editor to your specific needs. You can change the color scheme, add plugins, and customize the layout.
- Multiple Selections: This tool allows you to edit multiple parts of your code at the same time, which can save you time when making multiple similar changes.
- Goto Anything: Sublime Text has a “goto anything” feature that allows you to quickly navigate to any part of your code by typing a few characters.
- Cross-Platform Functionality: It is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, making it a versatile choice for developers on any platform.
#3 Chrome Developer Tools
Chrome Developer Tools are a set of web editing and debugging tools that are built into the Google Chrome browser that can help you view and update the web page’s styles, debug code, and boost web page load times.
This web development tool offers some great commands and shortcuts for easy navigation of the UI and performing certain tasks like disabling JS.
- Device Mode: The chrome developer tool includes a mobile emulator that allows you to see how your web pages will look and function on different mobile devices.
- Audit Web Pages: It includes an audit tool that analyzes your web pages and provides recommendations for improving their performance, accessibility, and other aspects of their design.
- Customization: The chrome developer tool allows you to customize the layout and functionality of the toolset to fit your specific needs.
#4 Visual Studio Code
Visual Studio Code is an open-source code editor that is available for Windows, macOS, and Linux, and supports a wide range of programming languages.
This tool includes built-in features such as syntax highlighting, auto-completion codes and Git commands that make coding faster and easier.
Visual Studio Code offers its own terminal and debugger. Other than that, it offers great support for JS and Python, which makes it useful not just for coding in the frontend, but also for the backend functions.
- IntelliSense: VS Code includes IntelliSense, which is a code completion feature that provides intelligent suggestions as you type. This can help speed up coding and reduce errors.
- Debugging: VS Code includes a powerful debugger that allows you to find and fix issues in your code.
- Git Integration: VS Code integrates with Git, making it easy to track changes to your code and collaborate with other developers.
- Extension Marketplace: VS Code has a large extension marketplace, which allows you to add additional features to the editor.
- Customization: VS Code is highly customizable, allowing you to tailor the editor to your specific needs. You can change the color scheme, add extensions, and customize the layout.
Bootstrap is one of the popular frontend web development tools that is used for creating responsive web applications.
This tool features various scripts which include HTML, CSS, and JS that are important for web designing components and functions. It helps save web developers from coding every element manually.
Even a web developer with basic knowledge of HTM, CSS< and JS can start working on it. Or, either way, you can get started with it by developing themes for popular CMSs like WordPress.
- Responsive Design: Bootstrap includes a responsive grid system and predefined styles for common web elements, which makes it easy to create websites that look good on any device.
- Mobile-first: It is designed to be mobile-first, meaning that it prioritizes the design for small screens and then scales up to larger screens.
- Customization: Bootstrap is highly customizable, allowing you to tailor the framework to your specific needs. You can customize the styles and layout of your web pages using the predefined styles and classes provided by Bootstrap, or you can create your own custom styles.
- Documentation: Bootstrap has comprehensive documentation that makes it easy to learn and use the framework.
- Browser Compatibility: This tool is compatible with a wide range of web browsers, ensuring that your web projects will look good on all modern browsers.
Web development tools play an important role in reducing the complexity of front-end and back-end development workflows. Picking out the tools that can fit your budget and business can help you judge its success.
Because at the end of the day, the best web development tools are the ones that work towards easing your task of creating web pages.
This brings us to the end of the top 5 web development tools for startups and software professionals alike.
If you think we’ve missed out on something, or need further assistance in your bespoke project, feel free to reach out to us!