Shopify Collections: A Complete Guide
Being a Shopify store merchant, one of the biggest mistakes you can make on the way is to make your visitors or customers click through countless pages to get what they’re looking for. Each additional click can lead to a loss in the potential sale.
This is where Shopify Collections comes in!
Shopify collections can help you group your products into different sections or categories such that your customers find what they’re looking for quickly and easily.
These are essential for creating high-converting online stores. It will not only help you display a catalog of your offerings created around their requirements but will also help you increase your sales and revenue.
So, are you ready to get started? Let’s begin with the blog!
What are Shopify Collections?
Shopify collections are a great way to group products such that your customers can find easily what they’re looking for. The manner of grouping collections depends on the type of Shopify store you run.
Some of the examples of Shopify collections that you can see in the store are:
- Seasons (Summer or Winter Collections)
- Gender (Men’s, Women’s, or Kid’s Collection)
- Item type (Tables or Chairs)
- Items that are on sale
What is a Shopify collection page?
A Shopify collection page groups specific products. It includes all the information that your customers might need. It is organized into certain categories.
For instance, if you are operating a jewelry store, you might use collection pages to separate jewelry into necklaces, bracelets, rings, and more.
Once a customer has set their mind on a particular product category, a collection page shows up with categories related to the products. They can then scroll through the results and choose the products they might be interested in.
How to Create a Collection on Shopify?
Now, let’s come to the most important question, how to create a collection on Shopify?
To do so, you need to first land on your Shopify admin panel.
Are you there? So, let’s start!
Step 1: Head on to Products > Collections, then click on “Create Collection”
On the left-hand side of the menu, go to Products > Collections. Clicking on it will take you to a page where you’ve created all the collections for your store.
If you haven’t created any collection by now, you may see a collection that’s referred to as “Home Page”. As you start creating your collections, they can be deleted later.
So, to create your first collection, click on the Create Collection button that’s on the upper right-side corner of the page.
Step 2: Add Collection Title, Description & Image.
Once you get landed on the page, you can enter your collection’s title, add a description, include an image, and decide on how you wish to add products to the collection.
Step 3: Edit Collection Page SEO
If we talk about SEO, you can edit your collection page for search engines. For that, you need to click on Edit Website SEO. In that, you can edit the title, description, and URL slug.
Remember, if you change the title and description in the Edit Website SEO page, it won’t affect the collection title and description.
Step 4: Choose your Collection Type & Save
To choose the collection type, you have two options, that is, automated and manual collection. For details about the collection type, go through the next section.
Once you’ve decided and chosen your collection type, don’t forget to save your progress, and start to add your products.
Ways to Add Products to Collection on Shopify
If you’re looking for ways to add collections on Shopify, there are two ways of doing so:
Remember, once you’ve saved the collection with the preferred collection type, you can’t change it.
1. Manual Collection
For that, you need to select the Manual button to save your collection.
Next, you need to click on the search field to find products or click on browse to choose products from the list.
Simply, click on Done when finished.
You can add more products to a particular collection whenever you want.
After adding the products to the collection, you can change how they will be shown on the page. You can do this by choosing the Sort option.
This option gives you the advantage of sorting the products alphabetically, best seller, newest, oldest, product title, highest price, lowest price, or manually.
Lastly, click on the Save button to save your collection.
2. Automated Collection
If you want to go for a collection that maintains itself, then you must for Shopify automated collection.
When you click on the Automated button, you will notice a Conditions section in front of you. Depending on your choice, you can select how to add products to your collection.
Either the products can match the conditions you select, or they can go with one of the selected conditions.
These conditions are based on the following:
- Product Type
- Product Title
- Product Vendor
- Product Tag
- Compare at Price
- Inventory Stock
- Variant’s Title
Congratulations, now you’ve created your collection, and also your collection page. Must say, great work!
Which Type Of Collections Should You Use?
Automated collections in Shopify are simpler to create. Additionally, these work wonders when items are sorted according to their types, thus, we prefer using the automated method over the manual collections.
Moreover, you don’t need to add the products manually to the collections in the future; they will be added automatically to the relevant collections. However, if you wish to go for some particular products in a collection, then you can consider opting for manual collections.
How to Group Collections in Shopify?
Before you set up the collections in your Shopify store, you must consider what kind of products you are grouping. Here are some of the ideas that you can use while grouping the collections in your online store to increase sales.
You can group the Shopify collections according to:
- Items on Sale: You can create collections for your discounted products and make them visible to customers using Shopify collections.
- Important Occasions: Special collections for some important occasions like Halloween, Father’s Day, Easter, and more can help you boost sales.
- Products with the Same Size or Color: These could be related to collections with the same color or sizes. For instance, “Black Party Outfits”, “Apparels for Petite Women”, and more.
- Seasonality: Winter/Summer essentials, Back to School, and more are some of the examples that you can use to create collections related to seasons.
- Items Serving the Same Function: For instance, sports shoes, track pants, school uniforms, soup bowls, and more are some examples of collections that can be used to serve the same function.
- Demographic Segmentation: These are the collections that are used for individual product segmentation for men, women, children, old, and more.
- New Product Launches: Create collections to put your newly added products in the spotlights to influence the customers to purchase your products.
- Items Made From The Same Material: If you’re into the clothing industry, you can create collections like “All Cotton Fabrics”, “Velvety Touch”, and more.
Top 5 Practices to Optimize Your Shopify Collections
Creating Shopify collections doesn’t mean your sales will touch the sky and you’ll earn great profits right away.
To make the most out of your Shopify collections and give a boost to your Shopify sales by collection, here is a list of best practices that you can use to optimize your Shopify collections.
Let’s get straight into the tips!
#1 Apply Compelling CTAs
Compelling CTAs can help drive conversions by encouraging visitors to make a purchase, sign up for a newsletter, download a lead magnet, or take some other action. In order to be effective, a CTA should be action-oriented, prominent, and relevant to the page content.
Here are some Shopify collections SEO tips for applying compelling CTAs to your website or online store:
- Determine the Goal of your CTA: What action do you want visitors to take? This will help you choose the right language and design for your CTA.
- Use Action-Oriented Verbs: Words like “shop now,” “buy now,” or “add to cart” can help encourage visitors to take action.
- Make the CTA Prominent: Use a color or design element that makes the CTA stand out from the rest of the page.
- Create a Sense of Urgency: Use language or design elements that create a sense of urgency, such as “limited time offer” or “only a few left in stock.”
#2 Use Killer Headers
Using compelling headers for your Shopify collections can help you grab the attention of visitors and encourage them to browse your products. A strong header should be eye-catching, informative, and relevant to the products in the collection.
Here are some tips for creating compelling headers for your Shopify collections:
- Use Action-Oriented Language: Use verbs that encourage visitors to take action, such as “shop now,” “discover,” or “explore.”
- Make the Header Prominent: Use a font size and color that makes the header stand out from the rest of the page.
- Keep it Short & Sweet: Avoid using long, wordy headers. Instead, opt for short and punchy headlines that are easy to read and understand.
- Use Relevant Keywords: Including keywords related to your products can help improve your search engine rankings and make your collections more discoverable.
- Use Imagery: Including an eye-catching image in your header can help draw the attention of visitors and make your collections more visually appealing.
Remember to also make sure that your headers are consistent with the overall theme and branding of your store. This will help create a cohesive and professional look for your collections.
#3 Choose the Right Layout
The layout of your Shopify collections plays a significant role in the user experience and can have a big impact on your store’s sales.
A well-designed layout can help customers easily find and browse your products, while a poorly designed layout can make it difficult for customers to navigate your store.
Here are some factors to consider when choosing a layout for your Shopify collections:
- The type of products you sell: Different types of products may require different layouts.
For example, a store selling clothing may benefit from a grid layout that allows customers to see multiple products at once, while a store selling expensive items may benefit from a list layout that allows customers to see more detailed product information.
- The size of your products: If you sell products that are particularly large or small, you’ll want to choose a layout that allows customers to see them clearly.
- The overall design of your store: Your collection layout should be consistent with the overall design of your store. This will help create a cohesive and professional look for your website.
- The needs of your customers: Consider what your customers are looking for when they visit your store and choose a layout that meets those needs.
For example, if you sell a wide variety of products, you may want to include filters or search functionality to help customers find what they’re looking for.
Easy navigation is important for any online store, as it helps customers find the products they’re looking for and encourages them to browse your store.
Here are some tips for enabling easy navigation for your Shopify collections:
- Use a Clear & Intuitive Menu: Your main menu should be easy to find and use, with categories and subcategories that are clearly labeled and organized.
- Use Filtering & Sorting Options: Allowing customers to filter and sort products by various criteria (e.g., price, color, size) can help them find the specific products they’re looking for.
- Use Search Functionality: A search bar can be a helpful tool for customers who know exactly what they’re looking for. Make sure your search functionality is accurate and returns relevant results.
- Use Clear & Descriptive Product Titles: Properly labeling your products can help customers find them more easily, especially when using the search functionality.
#5 Use High-Quality Media
Using high-quality media, such as product images and videos, is essential for any online store. It can help showcase your products and give customers a better sense of what they’re purchasing.
Here are some tips for using high-quality media for your Shopify collections:
- Use High-Resolution Images: Low-quality images can appear pixelated and unprofessional, so make sure to use high-resolution images that are clear and crisp.
- Use Multiple Images: Showcasing your products from different angles and in different settings can help customers get a better sense of what they’re purchasing.
- Use Lifestyle Images: In addition to product shots, consider using lifestyle images that show your products in use. This can help customers visualize how they might incorporate your products into their own lives.
- Use Videos: Videos can be a powerful tool for showcasing your products and providing additional information to customers.
- Optimize Your Media: Ensure your images and videos are properly optimized for the web. This will help ensure that they load quickly and smoothly for your customers.
If you’re confused about what should be the ideal choice of images for your Shopify store, do give A Guide to Shopify Image Sizes a read!
Shopify collections are the best way to display your products and help customers navigate your store easily. It also helps them find what they’re looking for in the store.
Once you’ve created the collections in your Shopify store, it is now time you display them out there!
It is now the time that you take action and upgrade your collection pages in your store.
Now go forth and organize!
If you have some queries or need something more to be discussed about your collection pages, reach out to us!
Also, do check out more of our blogs on Shopify and let us know if they proved to be helpful to you!